During this time of self-isolation, many people (including children) are forced to stay in dangerous and unhealthy environments at home.
The following statistics are from the National Statistics Domestic Violence Fact Sheet:
- On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking with impacts such as injury, fearfulness, post-traumatic stress disorder, use of victim services, contraction of sexually transmitted diseases, etc.
- 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner. This includes a range of behaviors (e.g. slapping, shoving, pushing) and in some cases might not be considered “domestic violence.”
- 1 in 7 women and 1 in 25 men have been injured by an intimate partner.
- 1 in 10 women have been raped by an intimate partner. Data is unavailable on male victims.
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence (e.g. beating, burning, strangling) by an intimate partner in their lifetime.
- 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed.
- On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.
These numbers are horrifying to me. I launched my fundraiser for the Domestic Violence Shelter & Services of Wilmington one week ago; since last Monday, I have raised $900!
I am SO excited to send this money to the Shelter shortly – but I want to hit my goal of $1,000 total raised! Supporting the Domestic Violence Shelter helps provide services and shelter to women, men and children in our area.
2019 Statistics for the Domestic Violence Shelter and Services:
- Provided direct services to 1,309 women, 45 men, and 163 children for a total of 1,517 individuals
- Provided shelter for 136 women, 5 men and 85 children for 2,763 “shelter days”
- Provided 532 education/outreach/prevention events with a total of 12,717 in attendance
I’ve developed a donation page to help inspire our fellow Sirens to give to those in need, and in return, I’ll give you the Atlantic Sirens Boudoir Experience!
In exchange for your $99 donation, you will receive a $350 Gift Certificate which will ENTIRELY cover your Atlantic Boudoir Session Fee (images and products sold separately). What’s also incredible is that I’ve already received two donations from women who are not local to me, and they asked that I donate their gift certificates to women who are survivors. How amazing is that?!
Want to participate? Just fill out the form on this page and you’ll be redirected to a checkout page for you to donate! THANK YOU!